BC Road Provincials- Robert Cameron Law Cycling Series

Of course I always go into a race ready to win- especially the BC Road Champs were I got to race cat. 1/2/3 with some pro's like Anika Todd, Annie Ewart and Denise Ramsden. I proved to myself in at the Enumclaw Stage Race that I could stay in and race with the cat. 1/2/3's, so I had no doubt that it was going to be an epic weekend of racing for me!

After a ferry ride over, the weekend started with the Hotel Zed time trial along the water. I practised my corners, did a good warm up.... and missed my start!!! Ugh! Everyone I talked to afterwards though, told me that that was going to happen to me one day! Anyway, I still felt that I had a good tt (besides being 2-3 minutes behind everyone else) and applied everything from the corners to my speed that my dad and I had talked about!

Next up was the Accent Inns Cycling Classic Provincial Road Race! I raced this course last year, so I knew the course and how hard yet epic it actually is. The race started out well, with me up there in good positioning. It was an 80km road race and the first couple laps kept together with a harder pace set on the hills and an easier pace on the descents/flats. On the third lap, which was a KOM (well, Queen Of the Mountains) lap, they sprinted up the hill and I finally got dropped, but so did five others. In the end, there was a lead group of three riders, followed by another group of three riders then my group of six riders. Points went 10 deep, so I knew I had to beat at least two of the riders in our group.

Our group stayed together until the sprint finish, were I just squeezed out 10th place and two points!! :-)

So, in the criterium the next day (Bastion Square Grand Prix- BC Crit Cycling Champs) there were 29 riders who started and only 13 who finished! I managed to stay in and finish with the 12 other cat. 1/2 women! The race was crazy hard, and again, positioning was key- especially because there were accelerations after almost every corner. It was a 50 lap race which took around 45-50 minutes and had the fastest women's lap times ever recorded for this crit! It was quite aggressive with attacks being launched, but no one could stay away. So it came down to the final sprint and we were all together. On the crazy fast last corner a crash almost occurred and the pack went wide, so I took the inside line and ended up getting sixth at the finish!

It was an absolutely amazing weekend with some really good racing! Thanks to Jon Watkin, all the volunteers and sponsors and the City of Victoria for putting on an awesome race!

Thanks always to Local Ride Racing, Kicking Horse Coffee, Golden Ears Physio,  Giant Bikes Canada, Power2Max, Cycles Lambert and Cycling BC for all the support! :)
Accent Inns Cycling Classic Provincial Road Race- Final Sprint
Photo credit: Richard Wooles

Bastion Square Grand Prix- BC Crit Cycling Champs
Photo credit: Richard Wooles 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back on (the) Track

Junior Track World Championships 2016

January European Track Adventure