Burnaby 4 Day 2014

Hey all!!

So this past weekend I raced at the Burnaby 4 Day track race at the Burnaby Velodrome. It was a 4 day event (hence the name ;) and I raced 3 Elite Women races per evening. The races we raced were some of the longest track races that I had ever done, with races such as the 75 lap scratch race and the 80 lap points race!! They were long and faaaast. There were 17 elite women, which is awesome considering the low numbers in the past! There were also some very top riders in that category, such as Jasmin Glaesser, Steph Roorda, Carri Higgins and Joanne Kiesanowski.


Jasmin Glaesser, me, Steph Roorda
Picture By: Pete Whalen


Going into the week, I spent many nights visualizing the different races and visualizing myself on the podium in each one. I had an idea of what to expect for speed and skill aspects after having done BC Superweek two years in a row. Turns out that I was accurate with my predictions of how the racing would be, as there was very little sketch and really high speeds (60+ km/h at times!), and not to mention tons of cheering from the crowd, something I love! In the first scratch race, I dug hard and followed good wheels and ended up 5th on the line, which I was very happy with!


Gaining Confidence ;)
Photo By: Pete Whalen


From there on, my placings just kept getting better until I was consistently getting 5th and by the last day, some 4th's. I learnt so much about the lines on the track, when to attack, when to sprint, etc. from just racing with the more experienced women. My confidence also improved as the week went on with me becoming more aggressive. It took a lot of mental convincing to tell myself that I belonged in that category, racing with those top women and on the podium with them. I was also super proud when I ended up 3rd, and even 2nd in some sprints in the points race. Overall, I got 5th place and made the podium because it went 5 deep! I can't wait until next year and to race these girls again in the future!


Left to Right:
Carri Higgins, Steph Roorda, Jasmin Glaesser, Joanne Kiesanowski, Me
Photo By: Pete Whalen


Thanks to Kelyn Akuna, Malcolm Faulkner, the Burnaby Velodrome and all of the volunteers and officials who made this weekend awesome!!

Also, thanks always to Local Ride Racing, Cycles Lambert, Colnago Canada, CODE Sports, Kicking Horse Coffee, Golden Ears Physio, Giant Bikes Canada, Power2Max and Cycling BC for the continuous support!

Maggie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back on (the) Track

Junior Track World Championships 2016

January European Track Adventure