Northwest Juniors Classic Stage Race 2014

So, back to Elma for the Northwest Juniors Classic Stage Race!! A totally professionally run (not to mention, epic) stage race in Washington! On top of great racing, I mean, how often do you really get to race around an abandoned nuclear power plant?!

The weekend started off with us arriving at the Elma RV Park resort and after a day in Olympia, we met up with team mate Clara Mackenzie to ride the time trial course (the actual course- last year we pre-rode something completely different ;-) Saturday morning we got up and rode to the tt course. After lots of talking with my dad (coach) and visualisation, I knew exactly how I was going to ride the perfect time trial! A great warm up with a good playlist consisting of Eminem and Nicki Minaj and I was off! A perfect track-like start and very well executed time trial and I finished 2nd place behind Hannah Green (BYRDS) and beat my last years time by 3 min 56 seconds!

I went into the crit with a goal to make it super aggressive and make up the 12 seconds that Hannah had on me!! I also had a plan to attack and lap the field. The race started with a high-paced, Superweek like start and attacks from my teammate and I, as well as others. I won two sprints for primes which fuelled my engine even more! I kept attacking until I finally got away. I was able to push myself hard and enjoy the pain, so that I almost lapped the field and won by 1 min 36 seconds. The whole time I was pushing myself to catch the pack, I kept visualising Steph Roorda and when she lapped the field at the UBC Grand Prix! Trying (and failing) my hand at a victory salute, I came across the finish line absolutely ecstatic!!



Crit... before I attacked :-)
 Photo by: Northwest Classic Juniors Stage Race

I did not think that it was even possible to get hotter. But, yes, the next day was so crazy hot for the road race, it was hard to even move! The pace was set high early on, for our race, and with some constant attacks and counter attacks, the field split the first time up the 3 mile climb. The race had a very intense component with a staring contest between Hannah and I, waiting for the other to make a move! Eventually, we came to the last lap and it ended with an uphill sprint for 1st, where I won the sprint for the 15/16 women and Clara won the 17/18 women. All in all, a great weekend for Local Ride with Clara and I winning the GC in our respective categories and teammate, Jackson Pickell winning the 17/18 male!! Congrats to the both of you! I'll miss you at these junior races, as you will both be senior next year! Fun times!



Crazy me spraying the Sparkling Apple Cider
Photo by: Northwest Classic Juniors Stage Race

It was awesome hanging out with and meeting all these dedicated, competitive youth! Can't wait until next year!!

Thanks Erik Anderson, Jim Brown and all the sponsors, volunteers and commissaires who made this race awesome!

Also, thanks always to Local Ride Racing, Cycles Lambert, Kicking Horse Coffee, Golden Ears Physio, Giant Bikes Canada, Power2Max and Cycling BC for the continuous support!



Clara Mackenzie, Jackson Pickell and me!!  Yay Local Ride!
:) Maggie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back on (the) Track

Junior Track World Championships 2016

January European Track Adventure